Thursday, September 13, 2007

HW#5b summary and what I disagree with

Hw#5b
When reading Kline and Burnstein's book Blog chapter " I blog therefore I am" there wasn't much that I disagreed with, most of the chapter seemed to be about statistics of blogging and where "old" media is going, but there is one point that I did question. Kline and Burnstein claim that the newspaper reading among young people is experiencing a "dramatic drop." They then go on to give us some statistics that show that not many young people read the newspaper the day before.
I question not Kline and burnstein but who they got their information from. I do not deny that this information is correct, but I would like to see these statistics over a long period of time. I do not believe that the numbers have changed all that much from years ago. I believe that not many young people have ever recently read the newspaper. So if this is the case then the only alarming thing is the amount of time young people are spending on the internet.... but some time the time we spend on the internet is for learning... (like the time it took me to make this blog.) It isn't always just playing games and checking up with friends.