Tuesday, October 23, 2007

HW#24 A Room Of My Own

HW#24 A room of My own

"If a woman wrote, she would have to write in the common
sitting-room....People's feelings were impressed on her; personal relations were always before her eyes. Therefore, when the middle-class woman took to writing, she naturraly wrote novels..." (Woolf 66-67)

"For if a woman is to write fiction she must have a room of her own." So if we are to look at the room I call my own we would see that it is not really a room but just a peace of a room. For I share my room with two other woman, so I must only make a peace of it my own. But that's not really the point, the point is that I do have my own room. Does that mean that I am a woman that can write fiction? It seems that is what Virginia Woolf is saying in her book A Room Of One's Own.


My room, it is really just my bed area in which I spend my time, and the few times that I do get into a writing mood this is where you will find me. Sitting comfortably on my bed surrounded by bright colors, giant pillows and pictures of the people and things I love the most. I have made this space my own, this is a place where I can be myself. I can write, read,do my homework or just dream of what is to come. But this is a room of my own. "...The very walls are permeated by their creative force..." (Woolf 87)

"There must be freedom and there must be peace. Not a wheel must grate,
not a light glimmer. The curtains must be close drawn. The writer, I
thought, once his experience is over, must lie back and let his mind celebrate
its nuptials in darkness."(Woolf 104)
A room must be peacefully light and there must not be must sound. My rooms light comes from outside and from the light right by my bed, it is a peaceful light, it seems to cast a soft glow on everything in my room, the sound is only that of the outside, and the music of my life, only occasionally interrupted by the sound of voice and laughter. So you ask do I have a room of my own? I believe the answer is yes, it may not be a whole room but it is a space of my own.

No comments: