Thursday, December 6, 2007

HW#32 more Burqas, habibs, and veils

Hw#32 Burqas, habibs and veils

I have always been interested in cultures that wear head dresses, but I never knew what they were, and why they wore them. After reading about them throughout the book I have found that I didn't know anything about what head dresses are for. Most of the reading was on pages 70-97 in Baghdad burning. Riverbend says that they are a religious choice to wear, or should I say were a choice. Now because of the war most women wear headdresses not because of religious choice but for their safety. If women are not wearing them they often get stooped and harassed. I never knew that the headdresses were a religious choice, and it makes me sad that they no longer are. I wish that they could just go back to living their life like they were before the war. I guess I never really knew anything about their culture.

No comments: